Setting up a network license
Here's a quick overview of how to install and license the network license version of Softimage 2010.
|Table of contents|
Get your 2010 serial number
When 2010 ships, you'll get an email with your serial number. The serial number is also printed on the DVD box.
If you have Subscription, you can look up (http://xsisupport.wordpress.com/2009/08/23/getting-your-2010-licenses/) your serial number on the Subscription Center.
Install the network license version of Softimage 2010
- In the Product Information dialog box, enter the product key 591B1. You can use the serial number 000-00000000, or you can enter your actual serial number.
- When you use the product key 591B1, Softimage is automtically installed in Network licensing mode. If you use 590B1, then you have to choose Network License for the licensing method.
- In the Autodesk Network License Setup dialog box, enter the name of the license server computer (on Vista, use the IP address of the license server).
Install the Network License Manager
If you already have the Network License Manager (NLM) installed for 7.5, you can use that license server.
- You can download the NLM here: http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS13737466
- If you install Softimage 2010 from the download, the installer for the Network License Manager (NLM aka LMTOOLS) is put in the C:\Autodesk folder:
- If you install from the DVD, there is an Install License Server button on the AUTORUN dialog box.
Activate your license
You will need the host id/server id of your computer. The host id is the Ethernet address of a network adapter on your computer. You can get the host ID from the System Settings tab of LMTOOLS: the host ID is displayed in the Ethernet Address box.
Save the .lic file in C:\Program Files\Autodesk Network License Manager. This folder is created when you install the NLM.
Install your 2010 license
If you already have a 7.5 license, you need to replace (http://xsisupport.wordpress.com/2009/09/03/installing-your-new-2010-network-license/) the 7.5 license with your 2010 license.
If you don't already have a license installed, here's how to set up a license server:
- Start LMTOOLS (Click Start > All Programs > Autodesk > Autodesk Network License Manager > LMTOOLS Utility).
- On the Service/License File tab, click Configuration using Services.
- Click the Config Services tab.
- In the Service Name box, type a name for the license server service. For example, Softimage Flexlm Service. You can use the default Flexlm Service 1 name if you want.
- Beside the Path to the lmgrd.exe file box, click Browse and locate the lmgrd.exe file. By default, this file is located in C:\Program Files\Autodesk Network License Manager\.
- Beside the Path to the license file box, click Browse and locate the .lic file you downloaded when you activated your license.
- Beside the Path to the debug log file box, click Browse and type a name for the log file. The file does not have to exist, LMTOOLS will automatically create the file. You must provide a name for the log file.
- Select the Use Services check box and the Start Server at Power Up check box.
- Click Save Service.
- Click the Start/Stop/Reread tab and click Start Server.
Check your license status
To confirm that your license server is really up and running, go to the Server Status tab and click Perform Status Enquiry.
You want to see three things.
First, license server UP:
-------- Status -------- Flexible License Manager status on Fri 2/19/2010 11:20 [Detecting lmgrd processes...] License server status: 27000@mtl-example License file(s) on mtl-example: C:\Program Files\Autodesk Network License Manager\SOFTIMAGE2010_TEST.lic: mtl-example: license server UP (MASTER) v11.6</b>
Second, adskflex: UP:
Vendor daemon status (on mtl-example): adskflex: UP v11.6
Finally, your licenses (aka features). To run Softimage 2010, there has to be a 2010 feature like 84000SFTIM_2010_0F or 84100SFTIMA_2010_0F available.
Feature usage info: Users of 78700SFTIM_F: (Total of 1 license issued; Total of 0 licenses in use) Users of '''84000SFTIM_2010_0F''': (Total of 1 license issued; Total of 0 licenses in use) Users of 78600SFTIM_7_5F: (Total of 1 license issued; Total of 0 licenses in use)