"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate." -- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
The Autodesk® Softimage® software is supported by a comprehensive set of documentation and reference materials to get you started quickly and to keep you working efficiently throughout your productions. Softimage Help includes user and programmer guides with procedural information for performing various tasks, information about new features, and extensive reference sections.
The Softimage Help is Web-based by default and requires a web browser and Internet connection to view. However, the guides can also be downloaded to your computer or local network (http://www.autodesk.com/softimage-documentation) for installation.
|Table of contents|
Softimage User Guide
- Softimage 2014 User's Guide (http://www.autodesk.com/softimage-help-2014-enu)
- Softimage 2013 User's Guide (http://www.autodesk.com/softimage-help-2013-enu)
- Softimage 2012 User's Guide (http://www.autodesk.com/softimage-help-2012-enu)
- Softimage 2011 User's Guide (http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com/xsidocs/hh_start.htm)
- Softimage 2013 User's Guide in CHM (http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com/xsidocs/xsidocs_2013.zip) (215 Megs)
- Softimage 2012 User's Guide in CHM (http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com/xsidocs/xsidocs_2012.zip) (200 Megs)
- Softimage Basics Guide
Softimage SDK Guide
- Softimage 2014 SDK Guide (http://www.autodesk.com/softimage-sdkhelp-2014-enu)
- Softimage 2013 SDK Guide (http://www.autodesk.com/softimage-sdkhelp-2013-enu)
- Softimage 2012 SDK Guide (http://www.autodesk.com/softimage-sdkhelp-2012-enu)
- Softimage 2011 SDK Guide (http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com/sdkdocs/hh_start.htm)
- Crosswalk 5.0 Guide (http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com/xwalkdocs/hh_start.htm)
- See also Crosswalk Information Portal.
mental ray Documentation
- mental ray 3.10 Help (http://www.autodesk.com/mentalray-help-2013-enu)
- mental ray 3.9 Help (http://www.autodesk.com/mentalray-help-2012-enu)
Downloads and documentation for legacy features. Legacy features are no longer available in current versions of the software or they are deprecated features which are still implemented in Softimage but we recommend you no longer use them because there are better ways to accomplish the same thing.
Softimage Feature History
- The feature history page provides a detailed listing of all new features and changes made in previous versions of Autodesk Softimage and the Softimage SDK. Currently the feature history goes back to Softimage version 5.0.
- Legacy Behavior Guides (http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com/history/behavior_docs_v2.13.zip) - Information about how to use the legacy Behavior programming system. This documentation includes scripting and programmer's guides, as well as step-by-step tutorials for creating behavioral animation.
- Legacy Behavior Export Guide (http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com/history/behavior_export_guide.pdf) - Information about the Behavior Export Tool was removed from the Softimage User Guide. This documentation includes information about setting up a Softimage character so that it could be exported and used in the Behavior program.
Some customers requested access to the old XSI Tutorial guides. These guides have not been updated since version 5.0. Many of the feature workflows have changed since v.5.0, but you can still find a lot of useful information if you are willing to dig through it:
- Tutorial Guide version 5 - Part 1 (http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com/images/2/22/Tut1.pdf) (PDF download)
- Tutorial Guide version 5 - Part 2 (http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com/images/6/6f/Tut2.pdf) (PDF download)
- Tutorial Database (http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com/history/Tutorial_Project_5.0.zip) (zip 372.9 megs download)
As of Softimage 2011, the legacy (non-ICE) particles are no longer supported. This means that you cannot load legacy particle scenes into this version.
If you want to continue to work with the legacy particles in your scenes, you can install the legacy particles toolbar and get access to all the particle commands in Softimage 2010 or 2010SP.
- Legacy Particles Guide (http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com/history/legacy_particles_guide.pdf)
Information about legacy particles was removed from the Softimage User Guide. This documentation includes information about using the legacy particles, fluid, and explosion operators.
Here's a little list to help you move from legacy particles to ICE particles.
Articles in category "Documentation"There are 4 articles in this category.